The Pumpkin Patch: Unicycles and Memories        
 
           
         
     
     
       
     
     
       

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Unicycles and Memories

A few years ago I received a phone call from a friend. His first words when I answered the phone were, "Cassie, I need you to find me a unicycle." Even with my usual everyday level of weird, this was a very confusing request. I asked him why in the world he would need such a toy and he proceeded to tell me a story about a buddies house party. Of course a unicycle was present and riding it was the thing to do. I felt his point was still being lost in translation and I directly asked him, "But why do YOU want a unicycle?" I remember it vividly. I could hear him sigh and then positively declare, "I want to impress the ladies....a unicycle will DO this!" That is my Vivid Preston memory. A 10 minute conversation that still makes me laugh inside hysterically. He was so certain at the time about that unicycle that anytime I went into a thrift store I instantly searched around.

A few days ago my husband receive a 6am phone call that we had lost Preston in a motorcycle accident.
Unicycle was the first thing that went through my head.

The kid was full of fun. His car and cycle creations were legendary around our small town world. But to me, he was a huge part of where I am today. 5 years ago I was invited to a car show weekend in Panama City. I showed up with a friend at 2am after working for eight hours and driving for three. About 15 minutes later this squirrelly blonde kid and his friend waltzed into the room. They had been invited for the weekend by Preston. We all stayed up until sunrise talking about everything and nothing at all. Talking to Preston on the phone in that next week was unbearable. He made ALOT of fun about me and that squirrelly blonde kid. But every phone call ended with Preston's serious side. He made sure I understood what a good guy that kid was.

After 4 years together, I married that blonde kid.

Maybe we would have meet eventually, maybe he would have showed up at a birthday. But I would rather be where I am now in life then betting on a maybe. I owe Preston for that. Years later our widespread group of friends has thinned. They've moved, married, and fought. But together we hold some memories of the best years of my life. I hope they know this and if they don't they should now. But I hope Preston knew what a huge part of my life he was by just being who he was that weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea he was there when you met Adam!! What a sweet memory!! He will def be missed, but all these tributes and memories people are sharing of their time with Preston will help every one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to stop reading this stuff......I can't stop crying today!

    ReplyDelete